- association as‧so‧ci‧a‧tion [əˌsəʊsiˈeɪʆn, əˌsəʊʆi- ǁ əˌsoʊ-] written abbreviation assn noun [countable] ORGANIZATIONSa group of people or organizations who have the same aims or do the same kind of work:
• the National Association of Purchasing Managersˈhousing associˌation ORGANIZATIONSin Britain, one of the independent Charities (= organizations run not for profit but in order to help people) that provide houses and flats for people to buy or rent at low costˈindustry associˌation also ˈtrade associˌation ORGANIZATIONSan association that supports and protects the rights of a particular industry and the people who work in that industry:
• the transport industry association
• the machine tool builders' trade associationˈstaff associˌation ORGANIZATIONSan organization that represents employees during discussions with management, and which also arranges social activities:
• Legal advice may be available to you if you are a trade union member or a member of a staff association.
* * *association UK US /əˌsəʊsiˈeɪʃən/ noun► [C] (WRITTEN ABBREVIATION especially US assn, WRITTEN ABBREVIATION especially US Assn, WRITTEN ABBREVIATION Assoc) a group of people or organizations who work together for a particular purpose, often used in the names of particular organizations: »
The creation of more part-time jobs is supported by the employers' association.»
a business/professional/national association»
president of the American Bar Association► [C or U] the fact of being involved with other people or organizations that have the same purpose as you: association with sb/sth »
We have had a very long and productive association with the firm.»
Manchester Business School, in association with the Chartered Institute of Marketing, offers a top marketing qualification for professionals.→ See also ARTICLES OF ASSOCIATION(Cf. ↑articles of association), BRAND ASSOCIATION(Cf. ↑brand association), BUILDING AND LOAN ASSOCIATION(Cf. ↑building and loan association), CONSUMER ASSOCIATION(Cf. ↑consumer association), FREEDOM OF ASSOCIATION(Cf. ↑freedom of association), HOUSING ASSOCIATION(Cf. ↑housing association), INDUSTRY ASSOCIATION(Cf. ↑industry association), MEMORANDUM OF ASSOCIATION(Cf. ↑memorandum of association), SAVINGS AND LOAN ASSOCIATION(Cf. ↑savings and loan association), STAFF ASSOCIATION(Cf. ↑staff association), TRADE ASSOCIATION(Cf. ↑trade association)
Financial and business terms. 2012.